Greetings!

Pastor Rider is a blog that exists to spread the gospel far and wide beginning in East Central Alberta and going out to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8).



Friday, February 19, 2010

A Profound Worldview Tour


Since coming to Delia a year ago, we have heard nothing but good things about Focus on the Family's Truth Project. At the the beginning of the year, one of the members of Delia Christian Fellowship offered to lead a small group using The Truth Project as curriculum. We have found the study to be quite profound. Last night, Del Tackitt, lead a session on history.

By way of introduction, the tour roused interest in history by reciting Isaiah 46:9,10, "Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose." As the presentation continued, the speaker drove home how important the concept of remembering is in the Scripture. Del Tackitt used the Scriptures very well in building a case for the importance of history by guiding the listeners through the history of redemption and the importance of remembering the Lord. As I recall the food laws, feasts, and Passover described in the first five books of the Bible (Pentateuch), it becomes all the more clear that the purpose behind Jewish customs was primarily for remembering. For Christians today, the Lord's Table (Communion) is an ordinance that calls us to remember. We remember our helpless state without Christ, and our blessed state in Christ. We remember that we have been reconciled (restored into a right relationship) with God through the death of Christ on the cross. We recall I Corinthians 5:21, "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." History is important because humanity tends to forget. Deuteronomy 8:11 says, "Take care lest you forget the LORD your God."

On a cautionary note, Del brought up both the danger and power of Historical Revisionism. In a nutshell, Historical Revisionism says, "If you rewrite the past, you can make people believe whatever you want in the present." In addition, the session on history brought up postmodernism and the cultures rejection of metanarratives. Basically what postmodernism is saying is that "there is no larger story." Without the recognition of a larger story that is written by God, man becomes the focus of writing his own story. We become nearsighted, and forsake God's revelation of truth in the Person of Jesus Christ, because we are so caught up with our own lives.

Allow me to share with you a discovery I made at age 17. This discovery came to me by the gracious hand of God. It is simply that I am not the center of the universe. Its not all about me! Sure God has included me in his story; yet I am not the be all and end all of history. As strange as it might seem, it wasn't until I discovered that my chief purpose in life is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever, that I began to experience fulfilment and joy. So much of the time, we are so caught up in writing our own autobiography, and polishing up our investment portfolios that we forget about God's story. Its all about Him folks! He is the author of history, he is the one who has spoken into history, and he is the one to be treasured throughout history.

No comments:

Post a Comment