Greetings!

Pastor Rider is a blog that exists to spread the gospel far and wide beginning in East Central Alberta and going out to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8).



Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cowboy Wisdom #1




"Cowboy dress is determined by three factors: weather, work, and vanity."


A few weeks back I was reminded by my Mother of a season of life that I refused to wear jeans that didn't have a Wrangler patch on the right back pocket. At the beginning of a new school year it seemed to be customary that I would get a couple new pairs of Wranglers. It didn't matter whether they were black or blue; but they could on no circumstances be Levi's. I'll never forget the first time my Mother decided to save a few bucks and buy me Levi's instead of Wranglers. I was appalled! How could she send me to school without the best of cowboy garb?


Looking back, I am mindful of a certain level of vanity that is accompanied with the cowboy image. Bright shirts that make you stand out like a peacock, shiny silver buckles, and distinguished tall hats seem to have a purpose beyond practical matters. Although there are many cowpokes that pay very little attention to matters of fashion, it may be argued that there is a level of undue pride in appearance that sits under the brim of certain cowboy hats (including mine).


The words of the Preacher in Ecclesiastes 1:2 are as follows, "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity." If this includes the subject in question, it would seem that cowboy attire often includes that which is futile, useless, and insubstantial. Interestingly enough, in some cases the most skilled cowhands are the most crudely dressed. When it comes down to the nitty gritty duties of roping, and riding, it doesn't matter whether you have a flashy Wrangler 20X collared shirt on, or a shirt that was passed on to you by your Grandad with brown paisley's on it. The substance of a cowboy does not lie on external dress; but on internal resolve and grit.


2 comments:

  1. Amen Geoff...It's not the cover of the book but what is inside it...we had best not be whitewashed tombs...
    Blessings Ulrike Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Barriere, B.C., a fellow city-slicker visiting the Fall Fair asked a local pioneer, "How do you pick out the real cowboys from the wanna-bes?" The old fellow said, "The real cowboys are the guys wearing sneakers and ball caps."

    I know it's a bit of a different culture in Alberta, but I thought that was funny.

    I'm glad to find your blog, Geoff, I came here from Clint's place.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete