Greetings!

Pastor Rider is a blog that exists to spread the gospel far and wide beginning in East Central Alberta and going out to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8).



Saturday, February 20, 2010

Confronting Fear


I'll never forget my first experience coming out of the bucking chutes at a rodeo. My debut ride was neither on a bronc nor a bull; but on a woolly critter in a competition known as Mutton Bustin'. Although my chest stuck out with courage upon my Dad entering me up in the event, it wasn't long until a certain lack of confidence in my own ability overruled the situation (unlike the Mutton Buster' in the picture). Upon digressing onto the startled ewe, my fears turned to tears, and my emotion led to a great commotion of yelling and screaming. With great persuasion, my Dad convinced me to grab hold of the thick shank which was sunken into a mat of wool. In my troubled state I can remember my Dad saying, "Are you ready?" With great apprehension, I began to back paddle from my previously cocky attitude and wanted nothing more than to set my feet upon solid ground. Before I even had a chance to contest against the the prospect of a sheep ride, I found myself engaged in perhaps the most wild and woolly ride of my life. With mouth wide open and knees up high, I bellered at the top of my lungs as the flash of fleece bolted out of the chute. Before the dust had settled from the split hooves of the fleeing flock member, I recall walking back to the chute with a deepened understanding of what is meant by an adrenaline rush. Forgetting about the initial trauma of being in the chute, I was overwhelmed by shear glee. After giving the Rodeo clown a high five, I strutted back to the chutes as if I had successfully rode Bodacious (an infamous bull in the sport of rodeo known as "The World's Most Dangerous Bull).

My first experience sheep riding at the FCA (Foothills Cowboy Association) rodeo in Carbon, AB is the most vivid encounter with fear I remember as a young cowboy. If memory serves me correct, the opening of the chute to my first sheep ride, gives rise to many other experiences where I have had to face fear right in the eye. The story I have shared serves as a reminder of how prevalent fear is in our daily lives.

The Bible speaks a great deal about fear. In the Scriptures we find: exhortations to fear God, cautionary warnings relating to fearing man, and instruction as to how to overcome the fear of circumstances including death. In the book of Hebrews 2: 14,15, the author answers the question, "How does Christ deliver us from the fear of death?" The answer is threefold.


  1. Jesus became a man "...He Himself likewise partook of the same things [flesh and blood]..."

  2. Jesus died - it was as a matter of fact "...through death..."

  3. Jesus conquered Satan "that...he might destroy the one who has the power of death..."

Consequently, Jesus delivers us from the fear of death. Hebrews 2:15 says that Christ not only conquers the devil but "delivers all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery." We have no reason to fear our last and greatest enemy if we embrace Christ as our Redeemer, Warrior, and merciful High Priest. If you have embraced Christ in this way, you have no reason to fear anything. Whether it be a circumstance you are facing in life or death itself. Death is a universal reality that is as certain as the nose on your face. Disillusioning yourself to death is like a skydiver arguing against the law of gravity. Without Christ your life is akin to jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. Using this analogy to illustrate the connection between fear of death and lifelong slavery, John Piper in Future Grace comments that slavery through the fear of death occurs in two ways. The first enslavement involves denial of reality (slavery to illusion). The second enslavement involves succumbing to fear (slavery to terror). Lets consider how this enslavement looks in practical terms in the lives of all those who will face death, namely everyone.


Slavery to illusion is when truth claims regarding death are discredited. For instance when someone holds the view that the death of a human is no different than the death of a tree. Or the universalist view that everyone goes to heaven when they die. If the thought of dying brings more pain because of the loss of possessions, and friends than it gives joy at gaining Christ, we might have religious delusions. If you are presently putting your faith in yourself, your religion, or any other person apart from Christ you may fall under this category of being a slave to illusion. If this is true of you, I trust, hope, and pray that you might be summoned to faith in the Lord Jesus Christ by the working of the Holy Spirit.


Slavery to terror is when individuals succumb to fear as I did in the chute. Weeping, screaming, and spiritual unrest are all signs that point toward slavery of the terror sort. St. Augustine of Hippo once said something to the effect that you will be restless until you find your rest in Christ. Is your soul in safe-keeping in Christ? Or tossed by the winds of unbelief and hostility toward God? You can often notice terror in the lives of folks that are in a state of dying without Christ. It is most unpleasant to witness. If this type of slavery is true of you, I beg you to flee from the wrath of God upon your sin, and cling to Christ as your only hope for salvation and a heavenly home.


I can recall a time in my life that I had no assurance of my salvation. I experienced the terror of not knowing whether my sins were forgiven in Christ. It was as if I was enslaved to the idea that salvation depended upon my performance as a good boy. It wasn't until I discovered the infinite worth of Christ, and His once-for all-time performance of dying on the cross for sin that I experienced a sweet release. It was as if I was a man falling from the air at 10,000 feet and discovered that a parachute had been provided for my rescue. Have you discovered Jesus Christ personally? I trust you have, for God's glory and your inexpressible joy!






No comments:

Post a Comment