Greetings!

Pastor Rider is a blog that exists to spread the gospel far and wide beginning in East Central Alberta and going out to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8).



Monday, May 24, 2010

Iron Sharpeners

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another."
Proverbs 27:17

In recent days I have undergone some much needed sharpening from men of influence in my life. As a man that is prone to dullness, I thought it would be fitting to express sincere thanks for three men in particular that put me back on the cutting edge. Although there are others that have ministered to me in different times and in different ways, God has used these three fellas in instrumental ways as of late. Interestingly enough, all three of these guys are currently serving in pastoral ministry with varied expressions of a similar call.

The first iron sharpener that I will comment on is the one I have known the longest out of the three. By his influence on my life I have been sharpened in matters concerning: godliness, sincerity, and instruction. As a young teenager I looked up to this cowboy preacher, as one who displayed a down-to-earth approach to living out the great truths he loved to proclaim. He and his wife have been involved with a church plant that has evidenced deep-biblical roots, and an increasing level of fruitfulness in gospel ministry.

The second iron sharpener is one that has had a great level of influence on me beginning with my college years. One of the ways that he has sharpened me is by convincing me that the key to understanding the New Testament is unlocking the Old Testament. As he took me through the Old Testament, I began to see more of Jesus in the typology of characters like Moses, and Joseph. In addition, this wise teacher seemed to help refine my passion for the sovereignty of God in such a way that is both worshipful and insightful to others.

The third iron sharpener is a peer that I have got to know over the past year. He has sharpened me in the area of diligence and commitment to finding out the meaning and implications on any given Scriptural text. Although he and I were raised on opposite sides of Canada, we have been brought near by a similar appreciation of the doctrines we love. Our mutual sharpening of one another made a sharp growth curve after travelling down to the Shepherd's Conference together in southern California.

I feel a sense of indebtedness to these men for their indispensable influence. I thank God through Christ for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment